July Used Book Haul

Wednesday, August 08, 2018


I am notorious for buying books faster than I can read them. I can't resist the allure of an interesting book. Sometimes, all it takes is a good cover to convince me that I absolutely need a book. Here is a look back at all the books I bought in July. Some are not sci-fi, but that is okay.

Science Fiction

The Martian by Any Weir

I already own this book, but it never hurts to have a second copy. Also, this one is the movie cover, so now I have both covers. This book is so good that I'm sure I'll wear out both copies. I know that most people are against movie book covers, but I honestly don't have any issue with them. Sometimes, I actually really like them. This cover could've been better, rather than a close up shot of Matt Damon's face. This will most likely be the copy I take with me out of the house, since I won't care as much if this book gets destroyed/lost.

Star Wars AFTERMATH by Chuck Wendig

I got this book for like 25 cents at a thrift store, so I absolutely had to buy it. You know me; anything Star Wars is a must-have. This book takes place before The Force Awakens and is the first in a trilogy. I can't wait to read it and enjoy another aspect of the Star Wars universe.

Obsidio by Amie Kufman and Jay Kristoff

I own the first book (Illuminae) already, and have listened to the first two audiobooks. I bought this as I was starting to listen to the audiobook, and thought It would be cool to have it to flip through and follow along with the audio version. I love this series so much, and could probably write a whole blog post about the series (future post idea, perhaps). I recommend you listen to the audiobooks more than anything for this series, because they are so well done and include a full cast. If you can't get your hands on that, definitely pick up the book. Just give this series a chance!



Nonfiction

How Star Wars Conquered the Universe by Chris Taylor

This book looks so interesting! Chris Taylor takes a look at all aspects of the Star Wars franchise and discusses all the ways it has impacted society, politics, religion, film, and other areas. Most people know that Star Wars is so huge and has been impactful in many ways, but I haven't really dedicated much time to reading about that aspect of Star Wars (I'm usually caught up in the actual stories!). Really excited about this one!

and then you're dead by Cody Cassidy and Paul Doherty, PHD

I honestly don't know much about this book, but I was drawn in by the interesting cover which has really big font and weird emoticon pictures of a whale, a cannon, and a guy in a barrel (??!). The book suggests a series of weird and uncommon circumstances and then elaborates on their possibilities based on science and historical relevance. I am so curious!

"What Do You Care What Other People Think?" by Richard P. Feynman

A biography of the famed physicist, this book dives into the personal life of Richard Feynman and gives readers an inside look into his personal and professional life. I stumbled upon this book in a thrift store and couldn't leave it behind. It is always interesting to read biographies of physicists and put a name and personality to the science for which they are known. Can't wait to read this one.



Reference

The Art of Styling Sentences by Amy Longknife, Ph.D. and K.D. Sullivan

I saw this book while browsing the reference section in Barnes & Noble a few weeks ago and then a week later I found it for 25 cents at a thrift store! It just gives some examples of different sentence structures and explains how to utilize them to form great sentences. Definitely another great resource as I write my own book.

Writing Science Fiction and Fantasy by Crawford Kilian

I am actually so excited about this book. I have been slowly writing my own science fiction novel this summer, and have been so surprised by how much advice I've looked for online. I am hoping to get some great tips and tricks on writing sci-fi from this book.






__________________________________________

Thanks for visiting my blog! Have you read any of these books? If so, leave a comment and let me know. Also, I'd appreciate any other book reccomendations!


You Might Also Like

0 comments