Sci-fi Stories Set in 2019 to Watch and Read in 2019

Monday, December 31, 2018


What better way to ring in the new year than by looking back at what past writers thought this upcoming year would be like. Here is a list of science fiction stories that imagine 2019 in many different and creative ways. I don't know that I'll be consuming these all right away, but they're all definitely on my list for 2019. It's interesting to think about how dystopic everyone thought the world would be in 2019 (and they're kind of right???!). Although I've watched/read/listened to about half of everything on this list, I am still excited to be consuming all of these stories in a new context. Also, I'm going to be focusing on female representation, because there definitely isn't enough focus on women in these stories. Here's the list!
Movies

Blade Runner (1982) – I have a complicated history with this movie because I read Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep before watching this movie. In my 2019 rewatch, I plan on looking at this film from a more direct point-of-view in hopes of gaining a better appreciation for it.

Akira (1987) – I have heard of this one a lot and it has been recommended a few times, but it's just something that has always dropped to the bottom of my list. I can't wait to check it out.

The Island (2005) – I vaguely remember seeing this movie when it came out but I can't remember very much of it. I trust that my love for Ewan Mcgregor will continue with this one.

The Road (2009) – I honestly have been meaning to watch this movie for years. I always think about watching it but stop myself because I'm not sure if I should read the book first or not.

Daybreakers (2009) – Never heard of it, but a quick google search encouraged me to add it to this list. It features a vampire named Edward, so I just had to. Looks like it is straddling the border between science fiction and dark fantasy, so it could go horribly, horribly wrong very easily. CAN'T WAIT.

Geostorm (2017) – meh. But it takes place in 2019 so has to be on this list.

Books

AKIRA 
by Katsuhiro Otomo – So this is the manga that the film is based on. I'll probably read it after I watch the movie, but I'm still looking forward to it.

The Road
by Cormac McCarthy – While I know the movie adaptation is set in 2019, I am unsure about the book. However, I feel that it can be added to this list in coordination with the movie.

Camouflage by Joe Haldeman – This book won the Nebula Award for Best Novel in 2005, the year after it was published. From what I've researched, it's about aliens and the origin of humanity. Kind of excited for this one.

In the Ocean of Night – Another Nebula Award winner, this book was written in 1977 and is part of a series called the Galactic Center Saga. The story is about a scientist who explores a comet headed directly at Earth. The first edition of this book was set in 1999, but was changed to 2019 for the second edition.

Library War by Hiro Arikawa – This is a YA novel that involves a fight against media censorship in 2019 Japan. It is the first in a series of four novels and was originally published in 2006. The series was also adapted into an anime short series in 2008. I think the concept seems promising!

The Sparrow by Mary Doria Russell – Another story that looks promising, this book has won a variety of awards including the Arthur C. Clarke Award. Originally published in 1996, the story starts in 2019 as radio transmissions from Alpha Centauri are detected by SETI.

Albums

Danger Days: The True Lives of the Fabulous Kill Joys by My Chemical Romance – Don't forget to check out the music videos for the album, as well. Also, for explanation and details about the storyline, I saw this interesting post on Tumblr.



BONUS:

In 1983 Isaac Asimov wrote of his predictions about the year 2019 and imagined that we would have a single world government, education would be fun and easily obtainable, and that we'd have mining stations on the Moon. Honestly, I wish we were living in Asimov's 2019. Read the rest of his predictions for The Star here.

–––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––

Thanks for reading! Do you  have any suggestions/additions for this list? PLEASE COMMENT BELOW. I am looking for more books and movies to add to this small list, and would greatly appreciate any input. 

Additionally, even if it's not a story set in 2019, I'd still love any and all suggestions for media to consume in 2019. 


You Might Also Like

0 comments