Binge Worthy Sci-Fi TV Shows

Thursday, January 12, 2017


I feel like Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon Prime are the trinity of unity that all college students share. It's rare that I meet someone who doesn't have one of the three. As a college student, one of my favorite pastimes is binge watching tv shows instead of studying. I spend a great deal of time sifting through the good and the bad in order to find the perfect shows. Here's my list of binge-worthy sci-fi shows that have it all.


  1. Battlestar Galactica (2004) - I'll be perfectly honest, I've never seen the original Battlestar Galactica series. But from what I've heard from my parents and others, there's no need. The remake series is wonderful and completely immersive. This is my absolute favorite show. No matter how many times I've watch it from start to finish, it never seems enough. If you're looking for a series that has a great cast, action, romance, drama, and even has a solid finale then this is your show. [Currently on Hulu]
  2. Firefly - Great cast, great show. 100/10 would binge watch it on a loop for the rest of my life. Firefly is one of those shows that is so so so good but heartbreakingly short. Pros: You'll fall in love with the characters, the storyline is amazing, it can be binge watched in a single day. Cons: Only one season. It's okay though, because there are so many fans out there that there are enough comic books, fan art, and fanfiction to get you through the first few weeks of withdrawal. [Currently on Netflix]
  3. The X-Files - Unlike Firefly, this is the show that keeps on giving. Spanning 208 episodes, The X-Files is a science fiction classic. The show has a deep central plot but also uses a "monster of the week" format that keeps the show fresh. If you like conspiracy theories, aliens, monsters, and ten seasons worth of a "will they, won't they" trope then this is your show! [Currently on Hulu and Netflix]
  4. Stranger Things - This show is one of the greatest things to come out of 2016. Filled with suspense, friendship and loyalty, classic 80s references, and a classic monster themed storyline, Stranger Things is that scary show you can't help but love. I honestly binge watched the entire first season in one day and it changed my year. #teambarb [A Netflix Original]
  5. MARS - This National Geographic show is like nothing I've seen before. It feels like you're watching a documentary! The show is about a crew of astronauts who are the first to travel to mars. Not only do we follow their journey in the year 2037, but we also follow along with the scientists and projects really happening now that are working towards getting humans to Mars. Unfortunately this show is only available directly through the NatGeo site or app, but it's definitely worth the extra steps! Don't forget to watch the pre-episode, "Before Mars" as well. [Available on NatGeo]
  6. 11.22.63 - This eight-part miniseries is an adaptation of the Stephen King novel. I have never read the book, but this series had me hooked from the opening scene. If you like history, time travel, and James Franco then give this show a chance. It's such a great story told in only eight episodes. [A Hulu Original]
  7. The Man in the High Castle - Alternate history is definitely one of my favorite sub genres of sci-fi. This show is a thrilling look at what might have happened if Axis powers had won World War II. The show is centered around mysterious puzzle-like films that portray an alternate-reality and the characters who are trying to put the pieces together. Based on the book by Phillip K. Dick, this series is high on my list for being seriously meta (an alternate-reality tv show in which exists an alternate-reality). Please give it a chance. [An Amazon Original]
So there are my seven favorite binge-able sci-fi tv shows. I've binge watched each one and loved each and every second of it. Are any of these shows on your favs list? What show would you add? Leave a comment below!






You Might Also Like

0 comments